Monday 29 September 2008

Fun at Bluefaced.Com Open Day

On Sunday I arranged to go to the Bluefaced.com open day with Chris and Lindsay (ohh and not forgetting Jules, Lyndsey's boyfriend who gave up his Birthday to join us). I really didn't know what to expect, having never been to any type of fiber festival before but it was amazing. We pulled into what can only be described as a stunning location, to find the most beautiful assortment of everything yarnly!







There were stalls run by Natural Dye Studio, Fyberspates, DT Crafts, Laughing Hens, The Mulberry Dyer and obviously Bluefaced.com. So we we're spoiled for choice......

I decided it was about time to embrace some new fiber related arts, I have been wanting to have a go a yarn dying for some time and there was such a fantastic choice of undyed yarn and the choice of dyes was amazing too, I decided to get a procion starter kit and 4 different types of undyed yarn, all sock yarn but various blends. BFL & Nylon, Merino & Bamboo, Merino & Tencel and Cotton & Tencel. I am excited to start giving it a try :)



Chris also kindly volunteered to show me how to use a drop spindle, after we had finished our lovely scones, she gave me a little tutorial and let me have a go, it was amazing. I loved the feeling of turning the lovely fluffy fibre into something you can knit with, so with Chris kindly offering to loan me her spindle off I went and bought some lovely fiber, purple and green extra fine merino YUM.



And a close-up of my first spun yarn:




Overall a fantastic day was had by all, I met some lovely people and it was nice to put names to faces that I have only ever spoken to through Ravelry.

Here is a picture of us and the fantastic haul that we brought home :)


4 comments:

Debbie said...

Lovely photo of my back!! I had a great day too - meeting lots of new people. I was the odd stall that you haven't mentioned!!! Sadly only there on the Sunday but everyone was very welcoming and I felt "part of the family"!

Good to meet you

Deb (The Mulberry Dyer)

josiekitten said...

Looks like you had a great day! I'll watch your yarn dyeing with interest. I've just bought some Kool Aid to have a go. Am also going on a spinning day at my LYS in November. I can see new addictions quickly following!

The Gadabout Knitter said...

Jo it looks and sounds like a blast! I can't wait to see how your new fiber hobbies progress! :)

Moggle said...

Looks like you had a great time. Great to hear you've decided to become a spinner!
I like the sound of your undyed yarns, that's what I want to try next.