Wednesday 23 April 2008

Today I have been mostly...sewing!


I recently treated myself to a sewing machine, it is something I have wanted to learn for ages and I finally took the plunge, so far I am really enjoying it, although I have only tried straight stitching! My first project was a very simple, lined drawstring pouch for my sock knitting and then I progressed to these tote bags! I am going away on a girly weekend to Scotland and have made these as goody bags, they are filled with all kinds of goodies!
The fabric is Amy Butler which I am in love with and it was my first attempt at interfacing anything and added a magnetic closure. The sewing is a little wonky in parts but overall I am really happy with them. I think this may be the beginning of a long and beautiful relationship with my sewing machine!
I used this tutorial, which was fantastic, nice and easy to follow for a beginner :p

5 comments:

Kate said...

I do love those bags. :-) Thanks for the link to the tutorial. Maybe I'll pluck up the courage to try sewing soon; your bags are certainly making me want to (even more than I want to start spinning!).

The Gadabout Knitter said...

Oh Jo you're bags are gorgeous!! (It doesn't help that the ones of the left and right match my Piddleloop project bag either!) ;)

Great job!!

Kath said...

Jo I really think you ought to be pleased with yourself with those bags. They really did look great and were a neat job in the flesh so don't put yourself down!! Forgot to say the other night that those Tumbling Blocks look great! Hope you have a lovely Girly weekend and make the most of the kiddy free time! See you soon!

Chris said...

Ooh! Pretty bags!
Hope you have a lovely weekend in bonnie Scotland and hopefully see you soon a little less flu-ridden!

Saira said...

They look great Jo, you would never know you are a new sewer. I love the pink and blue one.